apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/include apr_errno.h
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:22:28 GMT
wrowe@apache.org writes:

> wrowe       2002/10/12 21:08:34
>
>   Modified:    include  apr_errno.h
>   Log:
>     Consistify apr_get_netos_error() and apr_set_netos_error().
>
>     Only remaining question... are h_errno values in the errno domain,
>     or are they in their very own conflicting range?

here are three sets of "net" error codes which can have conflicting
ranges:

1) errno, as set by kernel calls and sometimes getaddrinfo()
2) h_errno, as set by some resolver calls
3) EAI_* retcodes from getaddrinfo() (but one of the retcodes says
   "look at errno"

   on at least one very significant platform, EAI_* values are
   negative :(

The very notion of xxx_netos_error() can be confusing to some of us
who have to keep those three sets in mind, especially since different
"net" routines return/set any of three distinct types of error codes.

I know you were "concerned" about the lack of use of XXX_netos_error()
in some of the common code in the past, but from my perspective it is
just an impediment to me being able to verify that the correct range
(for the 3 types of network errors) is actually being used.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...