apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Compiling the APR testsuite on Windows
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:55:06 GMT
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> >> As well as they did before...
> >>
> >> ... that is, not at all.
> >
> >How do you mean that they don't work? Anonymous shared memory is not
> >currently supported on systems that lack sufficient process inheritance
> >mechanisms (ie. fork() and exec()).
>
> I mean, the tests couldn't work (couldn't compile for that matter.)
> So we simply walked around those tests.

That is because the tests weren't written properly.  APR provides features
macros for everything that isn't completely portable.  If the tests used
those macros, every test would have always been buildable on every
platform.  This is one of the goals of the new test suite.  There will be
few (if any) programs that don't compile and run everywhere.  My goal is
for all tests to run everywhere, although some of the tests will return
NotImplemented on some platforms.

BTW, once I get the tests all converted, there is another project that
needs to be undertaken.  Our test suite tests about half of functionality
we provide.  And, even for the stuff that is tested, it isn't tested
well.  I will continue to port the tests, and then I will begin to fill
out the suite, but some help would be appreciated.  I have already added
some thoughts to test/README about how to write good tests, but more
thoughts in that area would be great.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610