apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/memory/unix apr_pools.c
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 05:49:03 GMT
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 01:08:35AM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > If you try to get a value from the table, and the value isn't set, then we
> > shouldn't return NULL.  The fact that we can't determine the difference
> > between a NULL entry and an unset key is proof that the hash table API is
> > incorrect.  We should fix the API ASAP.  I don't see the code in
> > thread.c, threadpriv.c, and sockets,c that may break.  The only place that
> > those files call these functions is when we are exposing the userdata in
> > the pool inside the incomplete type.
>
> You didn't answer my question: Why do we _need_ to differenciate between
> unset and NULL value? Without a specific problem there is no reason
> to break things.

Because there is a difference between unset and NULL value.  One of them
was specifically set by the program, the other is a programmer trying to
query for a value that was never set.  They are two different cases.  This
is the time to break the API, before the 1.0 release.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610