apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/file_io/win32 filedup.c open.c readwrite.c
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:59:26 GMT
After a bit of cleanup (thank you for choosing apr_file_seek, it made
the append + xthread solution simple)... this patch should 'work'.

But the patch has the side effect of being incompatible with other
applications attempting to append to the file [such as piped output
or whatnot.]

And it has a flaw if we are logging errors from the parent, the old
race condition still remains.  It gets much worse if we factor in
the possibility of two child worker processes accessing the file
at once.  Thread locks are strictly intraprocess.

Grump.

Bill