apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: add additional parm for protocol to apr_socket_create() before 1.0?
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:30:04 GMT
At 10:59 AM 10/16/2002, rbb@apache.org wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> At 06:58 AM 10/16/2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> >Mr. Stewart needs to know in order to rework his SCTP patch
>> >appropriately.
>> >
>> >alternative:
>> >
>> >apr_socket_create_ex() which is an interface that has existing
>> >parameters + protocol parameter
>>
>> +1 ... AND when we go to 1.0, we break the API and introduce
>> the argument to apr_socket_create() and drop _ex().
>
>You can't do that.  This is a library.  Once we ship 1.0, the API MUST
>remain for the entire 1.x lifetime.

Exactly.  Prior to tagging 1.0, we replace apr_socket_create() with
the apr_socket_create_ex(), and eliminate apr_socket_create_ex()
and all other 'compatibility' thunks introduced in the 0. generation of
the library.  Effective with release 1.0, all interfaces are immutable.

Or we permanently define apr_socket_create_protocol() and leave
apr_socket_create() using the OS's preferred protocol.  That would
actually be my preference, but I could live with either choice after
we introduce 1.0.

Bill