apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: testucs?
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 02:36:53 GMT
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 09:44:15PM -0400, rbb@apache.org wrote:

> I am still slowly working through the test suite for APR, and I have come
> upon testucs.  This is a program that is specifically written for
> Windows.  The goal of the APR test suite is to test APR and prove that all
> implementations of APR are equivalent.  The testucs program does not do
> that.  Either it should be re-written so that it works on all platforms,
> or it should be removed.  Unless I hear otherwise, I will remove it on
> Thursday.

-1 on removal

The goal of the APR test suite is to ensure that APR works properly. If
there is functionality somewhere in APR, then testing it is valid. If that
functionality happens to be platform specific, then so be it.

We export a portable *API*, but 90% of the code is platform specific. And
that stuff needs to be tested.

If the test sucks, then fine. But I disagree with the rationale of
equivalency as a basis for accepting a test program.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/