apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@ntrnet.net>
Subject Re: What if a system already has expat?
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:32:10 GMT

> > Similarily, if the system has OpenSSH with its crypto library,
> > wouldn't it be nice if APU's crypto stuff acted as a simple
> > wrapper?
>
> We've got md4, md5, and sha hashes in our crypto support. IOW, it is only
> cryptographic hashing algorithms -- not full cryptography. I don't really
> see much need to reuse those functions from an installed library -- it could
> cause more problems that its worth.
>
> Is there a specific problem with apu including those hashing algorithms?

I am pretty sure that our MD5 algorithm is slightly modified.  I remember
when we put MD5 into Apache 1.3 we found that the BSD platforms had used a
modified MD5 algorithm.  I can't remember if we took theirs, or somebody
elses implementation.  I do remember that one of the reasons we don't just
wrap the platform MD5 algorithm, is so that we know the resoluts from our
MD5 algorithm are portable to other platforms.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610