apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/include apu_version.h
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:45:14 GMT

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 09:25 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 09:14:37PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> one question though.  when i download the apr-util-0.9.1.tar.gz
>> tarball
>> and untar it, the configure script errors out.  it's trying to find
>> install-sh or install.sh in ../apr/build, but it can't find it, since
>> while i do happen to have the apr-0.9.1 tarball untarred in the same
>> directory, it is in a directory named apr-0.9.1, not apr.
>
> Now you know why we needed to go through the mechanics of a
> release.  =)

*laugh*

> The fix, of course, is to extract stuff to apr and apr-util
> (no version numbers and in parallel).

of course, it can't be that simple ;-)

once i do that, apr configures just fine, but apr-util bombs out with a
syntax error in the configure script:

[rooneg@quicksilver:~/apr/apr-util-0.9.1 ] ./configure
./configure: line 1278: syntax error near unexpected token
`APR_CONFIG_NICE(config.nice)'
./configure: line 1278: `APR_CONFIG_NICE(config.nice)'
[rooneg@quicksilver:~/apr/apr-util-0.9.1 ]

>> adding --with-apr=../apr-0.9.1 does not seem to help.
>
> It has to do with autoconf hardcoding the apr path in configure
> via AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(../apr/build) in configure.in.

yeah, i figured it was something like that, since it was the only place
i could find that path hardcoded.

> What we may need to do is to create an apr-build module that
> allows us to store the config.guess/config.sub/install.sh/mkdir.sh
> files that we can force all projects to check out locally rather
> than having their own local (potentially stale) copy.
>
> Thoughts?  But, somehow APR-util needs its own local copy of these
> files, but I'd rather see us consolidate them somehow.  -- justin

a separate apr-build project certainly seems like the best solution to
me.  i'd love to see it possible to build apr-util separate from apr
(meaning apr is already installed on the system, as opposed to the
current state of afairs where you pretty much have to build them both
at the same time).

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes