apr-dev mailing list archives

From "John K. Sterling" <j...@sterls.com>
Subject Re: El-Kabong -- HTML Parser
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:11:31 GMT

....snip...
>As I said earlier: if all you want is to contribute the code, put a
>compatible open source license on it and put it on a publicly accessable
>website, somewhere.

there have been proposed uses within the core or within core modules (e.g.
usertrack).  To facilitate these great extensions, the parser should be
in apr.

>>From following the thread, I get the feeling you don't want to contribute
>it, you want someone to take ownership of it.  A couple points:

Where did you get that idea?  Jon said he would help maintain it i believe.

> 1) Everyone here has a real-life job.
> 2) Many of those jobs don't involve Apache directly.
> 3) Anyone who's writing code has their own pet projects they want done.
> 4) Anyone without a pet project has a choice of dozens/hundreds of
>    abandoned/unmaintained projects to work on.
> 5) Integration work is hard work.

this is ponderous - I don't think Jon needs your advice.  He has been an
active contributor here for a few years.

The point is that there are some uses for an html parser in apache (e.g.
usertrack rewriting urls, language translation, and many other filtering
applications).  I personally think it would be nice to get the parser into
apr - then these extensions can be done immediately.  If it is put external,
core modules will basically not be able to use it (since we don't want to
start adding external dependencies).

sterling