apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: What if a system already has expat?
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:44:58 GMT
On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 07:32:10PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > > Similarily, if the system has OpenSSH with its crypto library,
> > > wouldn't it be nice if APU's crypto stuff acted as a simple
> > > wrapper?
> >
> > We've got md4, md5, and sha hashes in our crypto support. IOW, it is only
> > cryptographic hashing algorithms -- not full cryptography. I don't really
> > see much need to reuse those functions from an installed library -- it could
> > cause more problems that its worth.
> >
> > Is there a specific problem with apu including those hashing algorithms?
>
> I am pretty sure that our MD5 algorithm is slightly modified.  I remember
> when we put MD5 into Apache 1.3 we found that the BSD platforms had used a
> modified MD5 algorithm.  I can't remember if we took theirs, or somebody
> elses implementation.  I do remember that one of the reasons we don't just
> wrap the platform MD5 algorithm, is so that we know the resoluts from our
> MD5 algorithm are portable to other platforms.

Euh... there is only *one* MD5 algorithm. I would be immensely surprised if
ours (or FreeBSD's) is any different. It would completely blow away all
interop over the wire.

I believe you're thinking of the crypt() function when MD5 hashes are
enabled. FreeBSD adds in some $foo$ gunk at the beginning while other
platforms might just stick with DES hashing.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/