apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: What if a system already has expat?
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:09:05 GMT
On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 03:40:25PM -0700, Kean Johnston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Shouldn't APU's configure allow the user to use their own
> local copy of expat? Quite a few systems already distribute
> it with the OS (most Linuxes, the BSD variants and some
> SCO products, that I know of). These are also usually modern
> up to date versions too. So is there any reason why APU
> should compile its own version? If not, I can twiddle
> things in configure.in to allow a --with-system-expat or
> some such option.

It already attempts to find Expat. Only when it doesn't find it, does it
build and include its own copy. There is already a --with-expat switch to
configure to point to your own Expat.

So... if that switch isn't working for you, or the auto-detection is not
working, then it may be simply that we aren't looking for Expat properly.
That you've got some particular organization of the headers and libs that we
aren't expecting, so we think it isn't there.

Can you describe your Expat installation? Maybe try out the --with-expat
switch to see if that works? etc

> Similarily, if the system has OpenSSH with its crypto library,
> wouldn't it be nice if APU's crypto stuff acted as a simple
> wrapper?

We've got md4, md5, and sha hashes in our crypto support. IOW, it is only
cryptographic hashing algorithms -- not full cryptography. I don't really
see much need to reuse those functions from an installed library -- it could
cause more problems that its worth.

Is there a specific problem with apu including those hashing algorithms?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/