apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util CHANGES apu-config.in
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:28:19 GMT
On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 12:22:57PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 12:13:56PM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > Woah there. I'm just talking about apr-config and apu-config. Those
> > scripts are there to help projects find and use and installed version
> > of APR and APR-UTIL. I don't have any problem with projects that still
> > wish to bundle it in their own source tree, as was necessary before
> > apr-config and apu-config existed. Bundling is, however, the old way
> > of doing it, and not the prefered way of using APR. Therefore I don't
> > understand why it's necessary to add support for the old way of using
> > APR into the scripts for the new way.
>
> The mechanism for abstraction of unbundling/bundling is hidden
> by the config scripts.  Hence, if you restrict usage of apr-config
> and apu-config to only be used when installed, then you disallow
> bundling as they are the mechanism by which the projects know
> where APR is and what linker/libraries/cflags/etc to use.

That is simply not true, because projects like httpd and flood have
been bundling APR and APR-UTIL since way before apr-config and
apu-config existed. They should keep doing what they did before, or
more to the new system.

> The config scripts provide a well-defined interface to learn
> what is needed to build against APR (even if it isn't installed yet).
> If you have a suggestion as to how we can stop using apr-config
> and apu-config and continue to allow bundling, I'd be delighted to
> hear any suggestions.  -- justin

New projects should use an installed APR or APR-UTIL.

Old projects should either migrate to the new system, or remain
where they are (since they're already using the bundled method,
which seems to work fine as it is).

-aaron