apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util CHANGES apu-config.in
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:22:57 GMT
On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 12:13:56PM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> Woah there. I'm just talking about apr-config and apu-config. Those
> scripts are there to help projects find and use and installed version
> of APR and APR-UTIL. I don't have any problem with projects that still
> wish to bundle it in their own source tree, as was necessary before
> apr-config and apu-config existed. Bundling is, however, the old way
> of doing it, and not the prefered way of using APR. Therefore I don't
> understand why it's necessary to add support for the old way of using
> APR into the scripts for the new way.

The mechanism for abstraction of unbundling/bundling is hidden
by the config scripts.  Hence, if you restrict usage of apr-config
and apu-config to only be used when installed, then you disallow
bundling as they are the mechanism by which the projects know
where APR is and what linker/libraries/cflags/etc to use.

The config scripts provide a well-defined interface to learn
what is needed to build against APR (even if it isn't installed yet).
If you have a suggestion as to how we can stop using apr-config
and apu-config and continue to allow bundling, I'd be delighted to
hear any suggestions.  -- justin