apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util CHANGES apu-config.in
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:50:04 GMT
On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:09:01AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> As I said when apr-config and apu-config were created, it should ONLY
> be used from an independently installed APR or APR-UTIL.

For those not on the flood dev list, we've had this discussion
there before.  Basically, I disagree with you 100%.

I believe we must continue to support bundling of apr and apr-util.
apr and apr-util do not have the critical mass to not support
bundling.  Requiring users of httpd or Subversion or flood to
separately install versions of apr and apr-util seems a path to
disaster if we want people to use projects which use APR.

I believe we must continue to support bundling, and I've yet to see
why you think it will make people's lives easier if we mandate that
we unbundle everything.  To reiterate my point, I do support the
notion of unbundled installs, but I demand that it doesn't come at
the price of losing bundled installs either.  -- justin