apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject dependencies (was: cvs commit: apr-util CHANGES apu-config.in)
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:33:37 GMT
On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:50:04AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:09:01AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > As I said when apr-config and apu-config were created, it should ONLY
> > be used from an independently installed APR or APR-UTIL.
> I believe we must continue to support bundling of apr and apr-util.
> apr and apr-util do not have the critical mass to not support
> bundling.  Requiring users of httpd or Subversion or flood to
> separately install versions of apr and apr-util seems a path to
> disaster if we want people to use projects which use APR.

This is a key point.

Subversion catches a lot of flack for its dependencies. We have a lot:
httpd, apr, apr-util, Neon, expat, Berkeley DB. Want to know the ones that
we catch flak about? The ones that are NOT bundled.

Each of the components that SVN uses are "bleeding edge" or close to it.
They are not installed on most machines, so it is a hassle for people to go
and grab them. To find the right version. To get it installed. To do that in
the right order.

The ones we bundle in the SVN tarballs? Smooth as pie... nobody notices.

[ we bundle apr, apr-util (and expat), and neon. we do not bundle httpd or
  berkeley db 4.0 ]

Cheers,
-g

--