apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: library versioning name
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:46:50 GMT
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:22:17AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> Are you just bitching, or do you have a better design? Let's hear it.

Oh, I'm fine with --enable-layout=classic which reverts Havoc's
model to what we had before.  The key point for me is to allow
the admin not to be forced into a particular model.

We can both co-exist in our little worlds - which is acceptable
to me (and I hope to you).  You have your reasons for using that
model, I have my reasons for thinking it's overboard - which is
that a prefix containing an explicit version resolves the parallel
concerns (i.e. /opt/apr-0.9.0 or /opt/apr-0.9 or /opt/apr-0).  If
you don't have a versioned prefix, yes, you need Havoc's model.

It does make sense to make your design the default, since that lets
newbies configure it in a sensible (to them) manner.  But, we should
have the flexibility to allow for circumstances where it isn't
helpful.  -- justin