apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: library versioning name
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 05:59:10 GMT
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:46:19AM +0100, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> Regarding headers, seriously, if I compile something today, I want it to
> link against the very latest version of the library, because I want all
> possible patches and updates, so I don't really see that problem...
>
> This document <http://www106.pair.com/rhp/parallel.html> only talks about
> Linux, which is a platform I luckily don't use nor know, but AFAICS, it
> should work on all of them: works on FreeBSD/NetBSD, and on NetBSD it's how
> EVERYTHING is compiled... For instance:

You want --enable-layout=classic.  =)  (go read config.layout)
It's my own subtle form of protest.

I agree with you that Havoc's page is specifically for GNU projects
and prohibits other (potentially better) forms of versioning.  The
GNU model is to always install things into /usr (or /usr/local).  I
believe that's bad form for reasons I've gone into before.  This
model falls flat on its face when each version has its own directory
(as it needlessly complicates matters).

Sadly, all of the GNU projects buy into this.  Good luck trying to
install anything that has automake or pkgconfig extensions in
separate directories.  All of those projects assume that every piece
of software is in a single cluttered hierarchy.

How frustrating.  -- justin