apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create apr-build repository
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:33:44 GMT
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 07:19:25PM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> OK, but let's assume that apr is needed for these. I mean they are based on
> apr (apr as in the original plain old boring apr library) right? Then I
> guess what I don't understand is why we don't simply have the packages use a
> script that tells them the location and then just use them...

No, they're not built from APR - they are simply m4 macros or
shell scripts that autoconf requires.  We could expand it to include
other functionality, but the key here is to support autoconf.

> The script is built by apr and installed, then either used from an install
> or from the apr dir if we're in a cvs type environment...

Nope.  Can't do that as autoconf needs these files at both generation
and invocation of the configure scripts.

That precludes any 'oh, hey, look they are here' magic.  They really
do have to be in the local repository or hardcoded paths.  -- justin