apr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
Subject Re: E-Kabong resolution: Re: acceptance of El-Kabong into APR
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:25:00 GMT
On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 01:55:35PM -0700, Jon Travis wrote:
> Jeff,
> 
> I cc'd the dev@ lists, since the original proposition was made there,
> and the public following the discussion should know the resolution.

Jon,

Most people would consider it improper to forward personal email to a public
forum. Obviously, you can choose to send your response anywhere you'd like,
but to incorporate another's email without permission is usually "bad form."

>... [ Jeff's email trimmed ] ...
>
> I've decided to host the project elsewhere.  It would be extremely 
> frustrating to require you, the ASF, to review code I'm patching
> to code I initially wrote, given that I know that code better than
> anyone.  Moreover, I would have no review privileges for code being
> committed to e-k, which seems like very irresponsible code management.

As Jeff indicated, we had hoped that you would want to work *with* us on
moving E-K forward. Your participation on the APR development list,
reviewing of commits, suggesting new directions, and providing patches to
improve the system are/were quite welcome.

Your comment about "host the project elsewhere" is interesting. We never
viewed this as a way for you to host code at the ASF. Instead, this was
about two things:

1) a donation of code from a company (Covalent)
2) providing an individual (Jon Travis) with commit access to apr-util

The two are separable items with different issues and requirements.

> As originally stated, I would be the initial maintainer of the code. 
> Since this is not the case, it seems that the ASF has accepted part
> of the deal, and discarded the rest.

Again, the two issues are separate. It is unfortunate that the ASF did not
communicate this critical piece of information to you, though. A lot of
headache may have been avoided if we simply said, "A code donation does not
imply commit access. Each will be evaluated on their own merits."

> I'd ask that you not include e-k, since we haven't come to a satisfactory 
> conclusion.

We have already executed the paperwork with Covalent for the software grant.
I don't have a particular read on what the PMC is going to choose to do with
the code -- whether it will go into apr-util/html/, or whether will be
skipped. We do have the choice, but I'm not sure which will be chosen.


I hope that helps to clarify the situation.


    Regards,
    
    Greg Stein
    Chairman, Apache Software Foundation

Mime
View raw message