apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Is it time to split the APR/HTTPD releases ?
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 06:47:19 GMT
[sorry for the crosspost. I'm moving this branch of the conversation
to the dev@apr list]

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 11:37:35PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> The hardest problem is that httpd uses m4 files from APR. That means that
> APR *must* be present at srclib/apr/ when somebody runs 'buildconf'. After
> that, we *might* be able to toss srclib/apr, but I doubt it. I bet there are
> still quite a few paths into srclib/apr/build/ for Apache's build system.
> (but then again, I haven't looked... maybe when the FIND_APR work was done,
> everything was switched over to use the "found" APR rather than assuming
> that APR was placed into srclib)

This is why I really liked your apr-build project idea, so that we
could get all those useful .m4 files out into their own project to be
installed on any system that might need it. I have multiple projects
that right now do something lame like check apr_common.m4 into their
codebase so they can use the funtions in there, but it would be really
handy to just search for those in some standard locations the same way
we search for include files (for example).

-aaron