apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create apr-build repository
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:21:39 GMT
> It isn't directly related to autoconf. We wanted to share autoconf and
> other
> build scripts. That is the *core* reason why the projects are not
> self-supporting.

Not only share them -- we wanted to avoid running them 5 times for each
build of httpd.  We only need to run them once and share the results.

> But since m4 doesn't have flexible include processing, then we end up
> with a
> lot tighter dependency than we would normally have.

Or we could change buildconf back to the procedure of copying all of
the m4 files into one local include file and only including that one file
within configure.in.  I changed that because it interfered with bug fixing,
but that's life.

We would still need to install the build files with apr and we should have
a parameter on buildconf that tells it which apr to pick up.

I do not think it belongs in a separate apr-build repository.

....Roy