apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: APR "charter" (was: El-Kabong -- HTML Parser)
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:59:20 GMT
Very nice summary.

If we had to break it down to the bare essentials, I think it would be:

   1. Portability libraries that hide OS/platform specific APIs/functions
      and implement a generic API to whatever packages wish to use them.

   2. A suite of common data abstractions and manipulations, implemented
      with a similar ideal as #1 (a standard API is provided, and whatever
      OS/platform specific magic is hidden from the application).

As mentioned, my concern is not at all that APR is growing and evolving
and the initial seed as sprouted an extremely robust project, but the danger
of it becoming a nebulous grab-bag of stuff. Most likely, the best way to
really handle this is a serious look at the present ASF layout, and
see if there's a better way to organize things to a more logical framework.