apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@ntrnet.net>
Subject Re: El-Kabong -- HTML Parser
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:38:35 GMT
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 02:15:43PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > Just to clarify, by "we" I meant the voting majority of the APR PMC
> > > (aparently only with the approval of the board), not the whims of
> > > the casual contributor. If this is indeed a paradigm shift, then I'm
> > > suggesting that we reexamine the charter.
> >
> > I'll tell you right now that I will strenuosly object to making APR the
> > kitchen sink of Apache libraries.  We are a portability project, which is
> > all the library was when I wrote it, and all I wish the project to be.  If
> > you want a library project, then create a new PMC please.  I don't believe
> > that you can create such a charter that is well defined enough to be
> > useful.
> Woah woah...
> We should not add any new functionality into APR that does not have
> an immediate use. I think we all agree on that. Serf may have slipped
> through the cracks, but El-kabong is not immune to that scrutiny.
> I'm also saying that apr-util seems to have broken the charter, in a very
> subtle way. On the one hand, the types of things we have in there are
> Incredibly Useful. However, it seems that the pieces are only useful for
> very specific applications. El-Kabong is useful (although not immediately
> necessary) in the same sense as apr-util. I'm just saying we can't have
> it both ways.

The argument for apr-util is that we are providing the same benefits as
other portability libraries.  That argument can't be made for either
apr-serf or el-kabong.  Therefore those two libraries should not be under
the APR project.  If you can find an actual portability run-time that
includes the functionality in apr-serf or el-kabong, then cool we can
disucss adding those to the APR project.  But, I don't believe you will be
able to find one.

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610

View raw message