apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@ntrnet.net>
Subject Re: El-Kabong -- HTML Parser
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:13:45 GMT
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:02:51PM +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> > Actually; no - the Board gave the APR crowd a well defined charter (or
> > rather, the APR folks came with a very well defined set of things they
> > wanted to work on - and hence got their PMC in the ASF umbrella).
> >
> > Changing that charter will require this community to do some very deep
> > thinking :-) and possibly you'll have to put things in perspective or
> > reconsider to prevent bloat, feature creep, version # aligement problems
> > with your dependencies and general quality.
> >
> > Right now your charter keeps you out of such troubled waters:
> >
> > 	The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) is to provide a
> > 	free library of C data structures and routines, forming a system
> > 	portability layer to as many operating systems as possible,
> > 	including Unices, MSWin32, BeOS and OS/2.
> >
> > rather nicely.
>
> Hmm..  how do we justify apr-util, and even moreso, how did serf get
> approved (especially if it is HTTP-centric)?

apr-util was created to move non-portability code out of APR, but since
the logic was all portable, and the features were considered useful, and
they are found in other portability run-times, we decided that they could
live in the APR project.  As for apr-serf, it was controversial when it
was created, and it is in the wrong project.  I said as much when it was
created, and the fact that nobody commits code to it just proves the
point.

> To me it seems that el-kabong is a natural sibling of apr-util -- both
> are a set of portable utilities which are dependent on our portability
> layer, and applicable to a wide variety of projects.

look in other portable run-times, and you will find logic for tables,
hashes, queues, etc.  I challenge you to find one that has HTML parsing
logic.

> I won't stop it from being part of HTTPD, but I do want to start
> thinking about our projects in terms of functionality rather than
> language or protocol.

But the "functionality" for APR is a portable run-time, not every library
that we can think to write.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610