apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Portable file permissions
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:18:57 GMT

Portable file permissions are almost impossible to get right.  I have donw
some thinking about it, and the only thing that I have been able to come
up with is an ACL type thing that could be mapped on top of Unix
user/group stuff.

I'll try to write up what I have thought about this weekend and post it
for comments.

Ryan

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Over on dev@svn, I've brought up the desire to have Subversion
> be able to handle permissions on a file that are in the repository.
> I want to set a property on a file that indicates I want it to be
> user-readable and user-writable but nothing else (i.e. 600 octet
> permission).  The key here would be no matter what platform your
> client is on, the 'right' thing would happen when you check-out the
> file.  So, we come here now as we need to add missing pieces to APR.
>
> The key problem here is that APR has no *portable* permissions
> structure.  apr_file_perms_set() is a no-op on Win32 and Branko
> says it will always be a no-op because the API is wrong.
>
> So, given a desire to have a mapping that works for the Unix-style
> u-g-o (for true Unix ACLs are uncommon), what type of API or
> permissions structure could we come up with that works with Win32?
> Since I have no knowledge of what the Win32 ACLs can and cannot do,
> I'm at a loss.  (If you ask me, the current APR API is just fine!)
>
> Someone pointed out looking at Samba, but I'm fairly certain that
> isn't relevant since it uses configurable mappings set by the
> admin.  All we want is a unified API that can do "essentially"
> the right thing for both permission models.  -- justin

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610