apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR "charter" (was: El-Kabong -- HTML Parser)
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 02:06:18 GMT
At 04:52 PM 8/27/2002, rbb@apache.org wrote:

>I want to be very clear.  We agreed on a charter a few years ago, that
>charter does not allow for things like apr-serf and apr-html.  If we want
>to extend ourselves to those projects, then we should re-visit the
>charter.  I am NOT saying that we shouldn't re-visit the charter, only
>that we shouldn't decide to include the projects until we have re-visited
>the charter.

If I had to redefine our 'vision'... I would reword it a bit.

We 'inherited' the portability aspects from httpd.  We also 'inherited' much
of the generic function libraries from httpd, so that code implemented in
httpd would be consistent from platform to platform, module to module.

Turns out many 'daemon' sort of service applications work very well with
our code base [as we hoped.]  They need the very same sorts of 'core'
libraries to handle "WEB" content of one flavor or another.

What do we end up with?

"The Apache APR Project provides portability and core library support
  to the Apache HTTP Project and other Web Connectivity projects, including
  the Apache Jakarta Project's Tomcat connectors, Flood load testing client,
  and a number of third party software projects, both Apache module projects
  and other service-style applications."

"The Apache APR Project is compatibility and standards focused.  The prime
  mission is run-anywhere behavior that bridges the gap between very disparate
  operating systems and kernels.  Rather than implement any specific platform's
  API, the APR library describes behaviors in a cross-platform manner that can
  be implemented on most, if not platforms."

"The secondary focus is providing standards compliant methods for the
  well-defined RFCs in use today for web communications.  The APR project
  implements those RFCs that are required to implement a variety of web
  applications, including the HTTP protocol and HTML, XML and other common
  parsers."

"An additional focus is to provide those common data manipulations required
  for virtually any application, such as table and hash manipulation.  Such
  functionality is chosen for their compactness, compatibility with the overall
  structure of the APR libraries and general applicability."

Or something like that

Bill