apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/time/win32 time.c
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 02:05:17 GMT
At 05:05 PM 8/4/2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 06:29:34PM -0000, wrowe@apache.org wrote:
> > wrowe       2002/08/04 11:29:33
> >
> >   Modified:    include  apr_time.h
> >                time/unix time.c
> >                time/win32 time.c
> >   Log:
> >     Time in exact ms intervals can be very useful in benchmarking... this
> >     patch defines a general API for doing so if the platform supports
> >     toggling the clock resolution.  Don't recommend doing so for HTTPD,
> >     but flood and ab should appreciate it.
>
>If APR can't guarantee a certain precision across the board, how will
>that API be useful?

APR cannot guarantee anything.  We have too many platforms.  The point
of this API is that win32, perhaps others, have more than one granularity
of time.  Your question should be, if we can't guarantee a certain precision
across the board, how are ab or flood useful?  I'd argue they only provide
insufficient resolution, and if there is an api to toggle it, this new function
exposes that API.

>Also, I'm curious how this works, if you happen to have some
>references to docs about how this works on NT, I'd be interested.

Google for NtSetTimerResolution ... sysinternals.com has some interesting
bits on it.

Bill