apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: El-Kabong -- HTML Parser
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:02:51 GMT

> APR is whatever we want it to be. If we start building things on
> top of APR that are functionally distinct from other projects under

Actually; no - the Board gave the APR crowd a well defined charter (or
rather, the APR folks came with a very well defined set of things they
wanted to work on - and hence got their PMC in the ASF umbrella).

Changing that charter will require this community to do some very deep
thinking :-) and possibly you'll have to put things in perspective or
reconsider to prevent bloat, feature creep, version # aligement problems
with your dependencies and general quality.

Right now your charter keeps you out of such troubled waters:

	The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) is to provide a
	free library of C data structures and routines, forming a system
	portability layer to as many operating systems as possible,
	including Unices, MSWin32, BeOS and OS/2.

rather nicely.

Dw