apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: El-Kabong -- HTML Parser
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:26:15 GMT
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 02:15:43PM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > Just to clarify, by "we" I meant the voting majority of the APR PMC
> > (aparently only with the approval of the board), not the whims of
> > the casual contributor. If this is indeed a paradigm shift, then I'm
> > suggesting that we reexamine the charter.
>
> I'll tell you right now that I will strenuosly object to making APR the
> kitchen sink of Apache libraries.  We are a portability project, which is
> all the library was when I wrote it, and all I wish the project to be.  If
> you want a library project, then create a new PMC please.  I don't believe
> that you can create such a charter that is well defined enough to be
> useful.

Woah woah...

We should not add any new functionality into APR that does not have
an immediate use. I think we all agree on that. Serf may have slipped
through the cracks, but El-kabong is not immune to that scrutiny.

I'm also saying that apr-util seems to have broken the charter, in a very
subtle way. On the one hand, the types of things we have in there are
Incredibly Useful. However, it seems that the pieces are only useful for
very specific applications. El-Kabong is useful (although not immediately
necessary) in the same sense as apr-util. I'm just saying we can't have
it both ways.

-aaron