apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test Makefile.in
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:00:50 GMT
On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:46:33AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> I just wanted to hilite this change, in case people missed it. Our output
> library now looks like: libapr-0.so
> (and when we release 1.x.y it will be libapr-1.so)
> If you've got problems or concerns or whatever with the change, then now is
> the time :-)
> [ note: I also plan to shift the includes into INCLUDEDIR/apr-1/* ]

My gut reaction is "Yuck" as I don't like this approach.

To me, this is completely useless as I install each program in its
own specific directory keyed off the entire version number, so apr
would go to /pkg/apr-0.9.0/.  Therefore, this scheme is only meant
for people who install to /usr, which, IMHO, is a not-so-good idea.

For those people packaging APR, the configure script options should
be powerful enough to let them tweak all of the directories without
us forcing this scheme upon them.

But, I'm curious what others think.  -- justin

View raw message