apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test Makefile.in
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:54:39 GMT
On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 12:11:05PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> My concern is that this is attempting to enforce a versioning
> scheme that isn't what everyone uses.  It's what you would use
> if you use /usr and want to support multiple versions installed at
> the same time.  Greg's commit locks everyone into this model, and the
> more I think about it, I think that is harmful.

It is an improvement on our existing situation. In that sense, it is not
harmful. The previous situation was hella more harmful.

> If APR supported config.layout (easy enough to add), a layout
> could have:

I would totally support adding such a notion, along with the
${major_version} example that you provided.

Note that I won't hold 0.9.0 for that, though. :-)  IMO, if the more
flexible installation appears in 0.9.1 ... we're still doing fine by our
users.

Do you suppose that the layout processing could be app-independent? For
example, APR provides the functionality, and APR, httpd, and SVN could all
use it?

[ I'm not trying to add work; if you do an APR-only solution, I'm still fine
  with that... just another add'l feature ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/