apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-site versioning.html
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:05:29 GMT
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 05:42:06PM -0000, gstein@apache.org wrote:
> gstein      2002/08/13 10:42:06
>
>   Modified:    .        versioning.html
>   Log:
>   Functions actually *cannot* be replace via macros, so note this and
>   the reasons why. Clarify that pre-1.0 releases are not subject to
>   these rules by moving that text out of the "Other Notes" area. Do a
>   bunch of wording tweaks and add some more clarification to areas of
>   this document.

This is a completely agreeable theory in an ideal world where our library
project is just beginning. The problem is we already have a near-complete
library, and even though we don't call it 1.0, many projects use and
*depend* on it. IMHO we should have reached 1.0 a long time ago, and
the fact that we have so many projects using it proves that.

I move that we implement a runtime version checking scheme in APR and
then release 1.0 as soon as possible, at the same time adopting the
above versioning definitions.

-aaron