apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: the 'default' mutex setting in APR is bogus
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:38:21 GMT
On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:24:45AM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> I think that this should be axed and we should decided either to default
> to recursive or non-recursive locks, and not have this different on each
> platform, which is what the 'default' seems to do.
>
> spent 2 days debugging which worked on 1 OS and hung on another

OtherBill brought this up a little while back. AIUI there is a rather
significant performance hit on each platform for non-default mutexes.
I'm not so sure about Windows, but on unix it's expensive to use
recursive locks, and usually unnecessary to have that feature.

If this is not true, I'm completely in favor of getting rid of
the concept of default.

-aaron