apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/time/win32 time.c
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 05:59:37 GMT
On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 09:05:17PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> ... Your question should be, if we can't guarantee a certain precision
> across the board, how are ab or flood useful?  I'd argue they only provide
> insufficient resolution, and if there is an api to toggle it, this new
> function exposes that API.

Both flood and ab do not require high-precision timers, since they take
many samples and perform aggregate calculations. At a certain calculatable
point, the precision lost from large-grain timers is overtaken by sampling
errors. By increasing the precision we are only changing that crossover
point, but you're still going to have those inherent errors from things
like network latency, processing delays, etc...

-aaron