apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apr/time/win32 time.c
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 04:25:45 GMT
> From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
>
> At 05:05 PM 8/4/2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 06:29:34PM -0000, wrowe@apache.org wrote:
> > > wrowe       2002/08/04 11:29:33
> > >
> > >   Modified:    include  apr_time.h
> > >                time/unix time.c
> > >                time/win32 time.c
> > >   Log:
> > >     Time in exact ms intervals can be very useful in
benchmarking...
> this
> > >     patch defines a general API for doing so if the platform
supports
> > >     toggling the clock resolution.  Don't recommend doing so for
> HTTPD,
> > >     but flood and ab should appreciate it.
> >
> >If APR can't guarantee a certain precision across the board, how will
> >that API be useful?
>
> APR cannot guarantee anything.  We have too many platforms.  The point
> of this API is that win32, perhaps others, have more than one
granularity
> of time.  Your question should be, if we can't guarantee a certain
> precision across the board, how are ab or flood useful?  I'd argue
they
> only provide insufficient resolution, and if there is an api to toggle
it, > this new function exposes that API.

I disagree.  When APR was started, we only provided functions that could
reasonably be implemented on _most_ of our platforms.  IMHO, if we can
find other platforms that can reasonably implement this feature, then we
should keep it, but if we can't, then this function should go.

Ryan