apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Request for comments] new poll API
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:39:33 GMT
> Hummm..... I was thinking we would create an entirely new set of APR calls
> to encapsulate an event drivent network i/o interface (/dev/poll,
> KQEnqueue/KQDequeue, IOCompletion ports, etc.). I'll try to work up an API
> this week.

    Here are some resources which you might consider during the
    creation of a new API.

    http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html#frameworks

    lists some existing event-driven engines, including a C++
    implementation by Dan Kegel.

    http://libevent.sourceforge.net

    The architecture is supposed to handle level/state triggered
    event systems.  It is still in the design phase, although
    working code exists in the undernet ircd server.

    http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/

    Thttpd has its own events abstraction, including (recurring)
    timers and socket readiness (kqueue, poll, select).

    - Sascha