apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@ntrnet.net>
Subject [RANT] our test suite sucks
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2002 22:21:51 GMT

The original intent for the test suite was that somebody could run the APR
test suite on their implementation of APR, and be sure that they are 100%
compatible.  The current test suite doesn't even come close to
implementing that.  In fact, most of the tests don't even give useful
information about whether a feature is working as it is supposed to.  I am
trying to test my new poll implementation, but I am spending more time
interpreting the test rsults than actually fixing the code.

In the next few weeks, I will be creating a real test suite for APR.  It
will be either Perl or Python based, and all tests will be required to
report success or failure only in the default mode.  If more information
is required, that will be done through a verbose mode, much like the perl
test suite for httpd.

>From now on, the test suite's goal should be to allow people to know if
they have successfully implemented APR for their platform.  This means
that any new features in APR should include a full test suite for those
functions.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610