apr-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Shutko <...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Is --enable-utf8 working everywhere?
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:35:45 GMT
Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:

> Wrong.  errno is in fact on most systems a hidden function call and the
> C language does not have any provisions to say that a function call can
> be eliminated because it always returns the same value and has no side
> effects.

Could you explain what the impact of this is?  Is the concern that
we'll have a different result between calls to the hidden function
call, or that it's somewhat wasteful to call it multiple times, or
something else?

I think I and other people understand that it can be a call, but don't
see why that matters in this instance.

Computers will become self-aware entities if struck by lightning.