apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: approximating division by a million Re: Why not POSIX time_t?
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:32:46 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Brian Pane wrote:
>

>>seconds = (t >> 20) + (t >> 24)
>>
>>That probably isn't accurate enough, but you get the basic idea:
>>sum a couple of t/(2^n) terms to approximate t/1000000.
>>
>>What do you think?
>>

>Sounds like the right idea.  But I'm still not sure this isn't too
>complicated.  ;-]

At least this localizes the complexity, though: instead of a
redesign of the time representation, we'd just need a new macro
for retrieving seconds.  If that macro looks like
   #define apr_macro_name_TBD(t) "(t >> 20) + (t >> 24) + (2 >> 29)"
(or whatever the right series might be), it's still less complicated
than many of the other designs we've been considering.

--Brian