apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr STATUS
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:37:14 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

>Let's take a typical scenario:
>
> - Acme software releases mod_acme 2.0 to work with Apache 2.0
> - They distribute a binary version of this module to work specifically
>   with 2.0.39 (the only version out that isn't susceptible to the
>   chunked-encoding vulnerability).
> - Apache 2.0.40 is released, includes the new binary usec impl.
> - Acme customers upgrade their servers to 2.0.40
> - Acme customers experience all sorts of weird timing issues, "hung
>   connections" (which are really just timeouts that were translated
>   to busec's), etc...

I agree that this is a scenario that we need to avoid breaking.
But changing the type name won't solve the problem: the run-time
linker won't know the difference, since it doesn't know the types
of fields inside structs or of function args.  I think the way to
fix the binary problem is to just increase the MMN major number.

--Brian