apr-dev mailing list archives

From Thom May <t...@planetarytramp.net>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] Experimental libtool replacement
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:40:33 GMT
* Justin Erenkrantz (jerenkrantz@apache.org) wrote :
> I've succeeded in getting my libtool variant (C-based) to compile,
> link, and install httpd-2.0/apr/apr-util on Darwin.
>
> You may find code, patches, timings, and a brief readme at:
>   http://www.apache.org/~jerenkrantz/jlibtool/
>
> Since there wasn't a (public) response last time to my post, I'll
> keep these patches outside of the tree.  But, since it is an
> opt-in, I wouldn't foresee any problems if we were to accept these
> patches as it doesn't break GNU libtool usage.
>
> I'm now going to be moving on to making this work with Subversion.
>
> Anyway, a *full* build of httpd-2.0 in half the time than it takes
> to build APR with GNU libtool.  I'm happy.  -- justin

Timings for linux:
GNU Libtool:  make all  64.75s user 18.18s system 75% cpu 1:49.92 total
Justin's Libtool:  make all  40.09s user 4.77s system 74% cpu 1:00.38 total

I think the upstream might be more responsive, too...
-Thom
--
Thom May -> thom@planetarytramp.net

<aj> *sigh* you'd think a distribution composed of 6000
packages distributed across 13 different architectures (in various stages
between pre-alpha and release quality), maintained by 700 amateurs with often
conflicting goals who're globally distributed and have rarely met each other
-- you'd think a distribution like that would be simpler...