apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AF_UNIX sockets in APR...
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 04:24:03 GMT
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:15:12PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I have no problem implementing this feature, but do it right (which may
> mean not using apr_socket_t), so that it is portable.  We have enough
> people who have asked for this feature, that not implementing it is kind
> of stupid, but please, please, please, don't write the API such that it
> absolutely can't work on Windows.  That completely removes the goal of
> APR.  We have tried hard not to create functions that can't be written
> on one of our platforms.  Please don't add a type of communication that
> isn't portable, that isn't useful in a portable library.

I think the biggest problem is that we (at least myself) don't know
what type of API would work for Win32.  If someone with knowledge of
how this might work on Win32 could describe an API, I think we can
come up with an implementation in Unix.  Whenever someone cares
enough to implement the bits in Win32, they can add it.

And, +1 to the "not implementing it is kind of stupid" as we've had
this debate way too many times for my liking.  -- justin