apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Request for comments] new poll API
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2002 07:50:40 GMT
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 07:50:55PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> To continue the recent discussions on the problems in the current
> apr_poll API, here's a patch for apr_poll.h that illustrates my
> proposed fix.
>
> What I'm proposing here is to split the API into two parts:
>
>  - A lightweight, single-function poll API for use (only!)
>    with very small sets of descriptors.  This is basically
>    the current implementation, but with a limit on the number
>    of descriptors that it will accept.  With this limit, we
>    can put the temporary pollfd array on the stack in apr_poll()
>    to eliminate the memory leak.

My one concern is whether we can degrade gracefully if someone
calls with a too-high value to apr_poll().  Would it return an
error, or have the overhead of using the abstract API and then
calling the other variant for you?

The reason is that if the limit of apr_poll() is tunable at
compile-time, then what may work for one installation may not
work for another.  That worries me.  I definitely don't want
to have to check for apr_poll() returning an error and then
having to code up for apr_pollset...  -- justin