apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: [design] work around new apr_poll leakage?
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 05:19:46 GMT
On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 09:45:42PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> You are optimizing for apps with large pollsets.  Fine, go ahead.
> Create a wrapper structure with an opaque structure as Will suggested.
> You want to re-use your pollset, figure out a solution.  But for apps
> (like Apache, and most other non-async apps) with small pollsets, the
> current implemented with a few tweaks is the correct implementation.

I haven't really followed the details of either design, but I do have
this to say: We must take in to consideration the fact that one day we
are going to use this same interface for polling on huge sets of file
descriptors. If we want to move closer to async, let's make async-friendly
apps. An O(n) operation that must be performed once per call to apr_poll()
is an O(m*n) operation, which is terrible. (I don't know if that's what
is really going on, but you get my point.)

View raw message