apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: more notes on the apr_time_t issue
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 06:28:29 GMT
On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 01:24:53AM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> A full ADT cannot be allocated on the stack... you don't know the
> size.  You will need real functions apr_time_make() to actually
> do pool allocations.
>
> Otherwise you are kidding yourself that this is really opaque.

Exactly.

> The other option is a transparent struct with one int64 member,
> but I really suspect we are digging into the overkill territory here.

Definately. Utility functions a good, full-blown ADT is silly for
something that is just a fancy scalar. I'm of the belief that it's
probably best if we just document well what the type is and how
it works (the seconds and useconds parts, how to do absolute vs
relative times/spans, etc) then migrate all our functions to the new,
more-efficient type(s).

-aaron