apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Drepper <drep...@redhat.com>
Subject RE: Is --enable-utf8 working everywhere?
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:15:12 GMT
On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 08:44, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> While errno is not a simple variable, compilers are smart enough to
> treat it as if it is a simple variable, so just 'return errno' works
> everywhere.

Wrong.  errno is in fact on most systems a hidden function call and the
C language does not have any provisions to say that a function call can
be eliminated because it always returns the same value and has no side
effects.  We have such a feature in gcc but it's not evailable
everywhere.

And the fact that you don't make copies in APR anywhere does not mean
anything.