apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: proposal to add apr_check_dir_empty() to APR
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 20:22:07 GMT
> From: Karl Fogel [mailto:kfogel@newton.ch.collab.net]
>
> "Ryan Bloom" <rbb@covalent.net> writes:
> > This isn't portable.   POSIX specifically states that you don't need
> > return "." or "..", and APR doesn't make any comments about them.
>
> Actually, APR does promise that "." and ".." will be returned, and
> will be returned first, on all platforms.
>
> See apr/include/apr_file_info.h:
>
>    /**
>     * Read the next entry from the specified directory.
>     * @param finfo the file info structure and filled in by
apr_dir_read
>     * @param wanted The desired apr_finfo_t fields, as a bit flag of \
>       APR_FINFO_ values
>     * @param thedir the directory descriptor returned from
apr_dir_open
>     * @remark All systems return . and .. as the first two files.
>     */
>    APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_dir_read(apr_finfo_t *finfo,

The docs may say that, but the code doesn't do anything about "." and
"..".  I just double-checked unix/dir.c.   :-(  I actually remember
looking at this years ago when I wrote the original code, and thinking
through the "." and ".." problem, which is why I said that APR will
return those two values first, but I don't think I ever actually coded
it, and I'm not sure how it would be done.

Ryan