apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: New apr_poll() implementation
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:46:29 GMT
> From: Ryan Bloom [mailto:rbb@covalent.net]
>
> > From: Justin Erenkrantz [mailto:jerenkrantz@apache.org]
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 12:11:59PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > parameters.  I would like to fix that mistake for apr_poll now, as
> long
> > > as we are changing the implementation.
> >
> > Getting back to this conversation for a brief second, I think the
> > additional parameter with the fd count is unneeded (but for a
> > different reason than IN/OUT).  The count should be stored in
> > apr_pollfd_t - it does not need to be passed into apr_poll().
>
> The count should absolutely NOT be stored in apr_pollfd_t.  That is
user
> owned structure, not an APR owned structure.

I should clarify this.  The whole point of this change, is that the user
can do the following:

Apr_pollfd_t pollset[2];

Pollset[0].desc_type = APR_POLL_FILE;
Pollset[0].desc.file = f1;
Pollset[0].events = APR_POLLIN;
Pollset[1].desc_type = APR_POLL_SOCKET;
Pollset[1].desc.sock = s1;
Pollset[0].events = APR_POLLIN;

Apr_poll(pollset, 2, &n, pool);

That code will work.  Notice that no where before the apr_poll, did we
tell the poll implementation the size of the pollset.  Nor can we.  This
is where the real performance benefits of this patch come in.  Because
the user has complete control over the pollset, we can remove all but
one pool allocation, and that one can be removed with an optimization
for small pollsets.

Now, we can make macros to add sockets and files, but we should not EVER
be telling APR how many descriptors we are polling until we call
apr_poll().  The functions that currently setup the pollset and add
sockets and set events and revents are all deprecated, and were only
left in the patch to allow for as much source backwards compat as
possible while the patch is being discussed.  Once the patch has been
committed, I will go through the source and start to remove those
functions completely.  The only real example of apr_poll() that is a
part of the patch is wait_for_io_or_timeout.  I probably didn't make
that clear enough.

Ryan