apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: random number generator
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:20:09 GMT
On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> 	on unix platforms, apr shipped with httpd 2.0.36 asks for truely-
> 	random number (/dev/random) instead of so-so random number
> 	(/dev/urandom).  question: is it really necessary to require
> 	/dev/random instead of /dev/urandom?  if not, does the following patch
> 	make sense?

We already had a big debate about this.  We decided it's best not to pick
the least secure option by default, so the patch below (which I already
wrote :), isn't the way to go.  Instead, I overhauled that whole system so
you can specify with a ./configure argument which one you want.  It will
be part of 2.0.38.

--Cliff