apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject RE: Breaking something? Now is the time?
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:21:42 GMT
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 12:11:09PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> > I want to break something: binary compatibility for the pool API.
> >
> > This has been on my list for a long time, but I haven't yet had
> > time to implement it.
> >
> > What I'm thinking of is the following:
> >
> > * Preface the apr_pool_t structure with a set of function
> >   pointers for the pool's "methods": alloc, free, destroy,
> >   create subpool, etc.
>
> Sounds like SMS.  We could never overcome speed limitations and we
> always seemed to place blame on the function pointers as the reason
> why the SMS performance wasn't as good as pools.
>
> I'd want to see performance metrics saying that we aren't going to
> see a massive performance decrease with this.  -- justin

Yes, please, we need some performance measurements.  I've been doing some
profiling of Apache 2.0 on AIX and even with mod_mem_cache, we still serve
static files with keep-alive at about half the rate of iPlanet. The sad
thing is I don't see any single smoking guns. Just lots of little stuff
everywhere.

Bill